Hi all, newbie question for you.

merlin9807

May 20, 2024
UK
Hi All,
Been riding for the last 5 years after a long break from riding. currently own a Whyte-S120.
I am currently looking at purchasing a E-MTB over the next 6 months, i have a budget of around £5000. I have discussed what to get with a work colleague and he is advising a full fat E-MTB with around 140-160 travel. Most of my riding is in local woods and canal paths, with some trips to the bike parks through the year.

I have looked but really not sure what to get, so I am after your help here from the type of riding i am doing would it be best for a full fat E-MTB or a light weight. (Also i am not exactly a racing snake either as i have too many kg to carry around).

Thanks in advance.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Yes I would say lean toward the full fat. Have you checked out Giants Stance (E versions)? I think there is version that would be close to your budget. The rear comes up a little short on your travel range but, people say they ride like they have more rear travel than they do! I tend to agree. I think it's a bike worth looking at.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wouldn’t use my Rail on the flats or as a commuter. I wouldn’t use my Fuel EXE for high altitude. But both are full suspension and capable of the terrain on this mountain and eMTB trails.

I ride both 60/40 and that depends who I’m with, where I ride, how I feel and what I’m trying to achieve. The Rail is a tank but the Fuel EXE is lighter.

I’d be tough to choose between the two.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@merlin9807 Take a look at the Merida eOne-Sixty 9000 (brand new, 2022 or 2023).

It is a fully specced full power emtb that was £7400 when it came out in 2021. There are still some 2022 and 2023 about at £5k to £5.8k. Absolutely marvellous bike! I've still got mine (a 2021 model).

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I use my full fat for everything from 3k of commuting a year to bike parks and trail centres
Obviously commuting is not ideal but more than doable (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles