• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Help please. Overweight rider looking to get into EMTB

JoshDW94

Jun 26, 2023
Blackpool
Hi guys

New to this site and the world of EMTB, I used to ride a hell of a lot when I was younger nothing special but loved it

Over the years gained a lot of weight after previously losing 6.5 stone so I’m currently weighing in at 27st8lbs which I know is a lot and not healthy

Want to get back into my riding and enjoy the world of trails and bike parks in the UK

I know hard tails are going to be pretty much my only option due to my weight I’d love a full suspension but my weight negates the ability for that.

I have a budget of around £6000 so would just like to know what you guys think

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Is it possible to lose weight by walking first? Majority of ebikes (hardtail and full suspension) Ive seen only recommend a combined weight including bike of 300 pounds.

I'm sure you could ride a bit over that but 100 pounds over maybe pushing it and I'd hate for something structural to break..

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
For significant weight loss, walking will not work unless it’s mainly diet that changes…

OP, I can’t make out your weight in your post… is “27st8lbs” a typo?

JoshDW94

Jun 26, 2023
Blackpool
For significant weight loss, walking will not work unless it’s mainly diet that changes…

I know how to lose weight I’m not here for diet advice believe it or not I’m here for Bike advice.

Not a typo that’s my weight

Reactions: Dax

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

In the uk we measure people’s weight in stone. 14lbs to a stone, makes the OP 386lbs or 175kg.

OP - I can’t help on the bike, but good luck. E-bikes are a great motivator for getting you out because you know you’ll have a good ride rather than just feeling knackered. In your situation I’d buy one with a good track record for frame warranty claims, I know some of our chunkier members have cracked frames, so it’s not too unusual, just accept you may need to warranty it and buy accordingly.

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Good luck with everything - worth noting that with the right set-up, some bikes will cope well with the weight
Nrml MTBer on IG is 330lb (~24st) and jumps his bikes etc., no special kit either. If you're looking to ride some tamer trails, something like a Giant as mentioned would do pretty well as they seem to be a bit more burly than other bikes

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
OP, just curious if you made any decisions and bought your bike? If so, what did you find that fit your parameters? I'm also an overweight rider who purchased an Orbea Rise which got me back out on the trails and having fun again. I've dropped 20 pounds and have improved my fitness level. These bikes are so fun that it's easy to make yourself exercise and can be a great component to a healthier lifestyle. Sending you good wishes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles