E Bike 30km commute

RJW13644

Nov 21, 2020
Surrey
Had 15km commute on pedal bike. Moved farther away from work, now 30 km commute + some hills. Wondering with E Bike, can I do 30 km in under one hour?. Any info or advice appreciated before I decide to spend the money for purchase.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Unless he powers to the limit of 25kmh on the climbs and makes up the lost time with higher speeds on the descents.

A lot would depend on the rider, tyres.... and the type of hill ! :)

In theory it's possible, but if the hills are steep then there's a good chance the assistance won't keep you at 25kph - unless you're fit (keep in mind an emtb is heavier than a normal bike). That said, if the hills are that steep, there's a good chance you could be going a lot faster on the descents.

De-restricting won't help if you don't have the power/strength to stick to 25kph on the hills anyway.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think maybe its important to define what kind of EBike you are looking at - an EMTB probably not is the answer, but a more road/gravel focused one maybe.

If looking for a hybrid type bike then Riese and Muller are worth a look as they do some dual battery models that have the kind of range you would be looking for, but bigger batteries also adds up to heavy bikes

Other alternative would to be looking at one of the lightweight road EBikes that are really only offering you slight assistance when you need it.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Other alternative would to be looking at one of the lightweight road EBikes that are really only offering you slight assistance when you need it.

Mate of mine here has just sold his E-road bike and bought a carbon framed superlight skinny. He reckons that the motor was only useful up to the 25km/hour, which he reached in next to no time anyway. And that the amount of assistance he got going up the hills didn't really make up for lugging the extra weight around the rest of the time.

Reckons he's significantly quicker over all the routes on the carbon lightweight. Of course, he still has that "mental block" of the 200m climb - 2km at 10% average - waiting for him as he gets home. Which was the reason he went for the ebike in the first place, but says he made the right choice.

(That said, he reckons there is no way he'll get rid of his EMTB. That's a different thing entirely to road riding).

regrettable

Nov 20, 2020
Liverpool UK
"can I do 30 km in under one hour? "

As others have hinted: probably not, or at least probably not consistently. Extend your time window a bit to 1:20-1:30 or so and suddenly this becomes much more realistic.

that said, i don't know why you got the 'reiss and muller twin battery' reply. while those are doubtlessly lovely bikes, you can do a 60km round trip comfortably with any bosch cx4 / 500wh bike assuming you dont have it in turbo/etmb mode the whole time. this will leave you with about 10-30km typically left in the tank so to speak, but, again, should be doable on one charge.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I recommend the R&M bikes because they are designed for the purpose - if I wanted to do a relatively long commute on an EBike they would be my first port of call, designed to do the job, proper built in mudguards, lights, racks, stands, locks etc, and enough range that you can ride in boost the whole way if you wanted, and do a detour to the shops too.

There are plenty of ebikes/emtbs that can do that kind of commute with a lot of elevation, but you will be massaging the range, and have to charge for the trip back, and they likely won't be kitted out with a year round commute in mind.

I know a couple of people with the R&M's and they are cracking bikes, capable of serious miles in comfort.

Jen

Nov 28, 2020
AUSTRALIA
Had 15km commute on pedal bike. Moved farther away from work, now 30 km commute + some hills. Wondering with E Bike, can I do 30 km in under one hour?. Any info or advice appreciated before I decide to spend the money for purchase.
It depends on the terrain, the wind, and your bike. You can go faster than the 25km limit eg downhill. I commute by ebike and don’t care about the time anymore.....it’s just part of my relaxation and fitness. The ebike gets rid of the drudgery of hills and keeps all the joy of cycling. And mtb tyres mean we are out in the bush on weekends....in all, your commute could be close to an hour, and fun. Recommend you take a test ride some bikes from your bike shop.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I usually commute on my e-mtb to. Got on my bike a dual battery settup (1000wh). I decided to de-restrict mine cus I hated the 25km/h limit(and I can allways turn it off whenever I need it on the trails) It has been the best thing I have done to the bike imo.
I can do a 140-150km on a tour mode with a a average speed of 35km/h on a single charge. If I put it in e-mtb mode I can even go 40+km/h uphill on tarmac

If you only planning on using it to commute and you want to be faster to your destination just go with a speed pedelec

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
30km in an hour isn't exactly breathtakingly fast on a normal roadbike.
But a normal roadbike is faster than a restricted Ebike.
Derestricted, an EMTB can pretty much match a normal roadbike on the road.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
yes it is possible on hilly (not so steep) terrain. you climb up with 25 and descend with 50 (as an example). i did that in the past with my Rotwild Hardtail eMTB 625Wh Conti Crossking 2.3. My best commuting result was 29km/h on 80km and 900hm, support in climbs was 180%, mostly fireroads, so moped was not an option. For shorter distances like 30km you can boost all time and 30kmh should be possible

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles