Decoy with ep801 motor - noise?

Casper007

Apr 26, 2020
New Zealand
I'm torn between getting a new Decoy with the larger battery and ep801 motor (plus various upgrades I will make) and a Transition Repeater PT.

The Repeater PT rides amazing down, although I am not sold on the auto shifting so I don't see that as a deciding factor. I can get the Decoy plus upgrades for less than the Repeater, but I am nervous about the noise of the Shimano motor as I currently have the e8000 which is silent.

I seem to have read reports that the ep801 is silent/makes less noise than the ep8, but then other reports seem to suggest it still makes quite a noise, so it may be a little frame dependent.

Has anyone ridden a Decoy with the ep801 and can let me know how much/if there is any 'clunking'?

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
I haven't ridden a decoy, but my 24 Collosus n8e with the ep801 is silent. I've ridden on chunky rocks and roots and no rattle, we'll see if it gets noisy after some more milage, but so far it's silent.

db840

Sep 28, 2019
Canada
Apparently the EP801 still makes the clunking noise. The Decoy won't be silent. My Core 2 (EP8) makes me think I have a loose cable hitting the frame almost every time I ride it for the first 2 minutes till I get use to it and ignore the sound.

Tikz

May 26, 2021
USA
I have the new Decoy Uncaged 10 with the EP801 and I hear no clunking. Now I don't know if overtime it will be a factor or not but as of now its pretty quiet.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I'm torn between getting a new Decoy with the larger battery and ep801 motor (plus various upgrades I will make) and a Transition Repeater PT.

The Repeater PT rides amazing down, although I am not sold on the auto shifting so I don't see that as a deciding factor. I can get the Decoy plus upgrades for less than the Repeater, but I am nervous about the noise of the Shimano motor as I currently have the e8000 which is silent.

I seem to have read reports that the ep801 is silent/makes less noise than the ep8, but then other reports seem to suggest it still makes quite a noise, so it may be a little frame dependent.

Has anyone ridden a Decoy with the ep801 and can let me know how much/if there is any 'clunking'?
if you have a loud hub then you probably wont notice it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles