Could Giant be up for a class action?

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
Hey folks,

I just read this post on the Giant site, E-Bike Tampering Policy | Giant Bicycles New Zealand

I would have though it’s a little illegal to deploy software / firmware to a privately owned e-bike disabling it or putting it in limp mode without the owner’s consent. Forcing them to return it back to it’s place of purchase making and then making them pay to have the bike restored to working order.

What a consumer does with a product they purchased is their own choosing, what right does Giant or anyone else have to dictate how their products are used (indefinitely) irrespective if the product has been modified or tampered with?

What are peoples thought on this topic, should any e bike manufacturer have the ability to shut down their product if it's modified?

FYI - My bike doesn't have this issue as I refuse to deploy the latest update.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hey folks,

I just read this post on the Giant site, E-Bike Tampering Policy | Giant Bicycles New Zealand

I would have though it’s a little illegal to deploy software / firmware to a privately owned e-bike disabling it or putting it in limp mode without the owner’s consent. Forcing them to return it back to it’s place of purchase making and then making them pay to have the bike restored to working order.

What a consumer does with a product they purchased is their own choosing, what right does Giant or anyone else have to dictate how their products are used (indefinitely) irrespective if the product has been modified or tampered with?

What are peoples thought on this topic, should any e bike manufacturer have the ability to shut down their product if it's modified?

FYI - My bike doesn't have this issue as I refuse to deploy the latest update.
My bike has many modifications but I’ve never felt the need to de restrict the motor, it’s fast enough, so I’m ok with the “don’t touch the motor” approach. However, are Giant saying if I change my handle bars this equates to tampering? The following passage suggests this, so clarification is required as to what constitutes “any form of tampering”.

“Because our bikes are designed and produced as they are, we cannot guarantee the correct functionality of the bike and its components after tampering has occurred. Therefore, any form of tampering automatically voids the warranty on all E-bikes and components within Giant, Liv, and Momentum brands.”

I think if you void your warranty by fitting a more comfortable saddle Giants dealers will have some issues.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
are Giant saying if I change my handle bars this equates to tampering? The following passage suggests this, so clarification is required as to what constitutes “any form of tampering”.

Going on their definition of tampering on that page, you’re ok to change the bars:

What is tampering?

In the ‘tuning’ market nowadays there are several ways of tampering with your bike. Mechanisms such as tuning dongles or chip tuning give users a quick way of changing the maximum speed of your bike. This can damage the motor and e-components of your bike beyond repair.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Going on their definition of tampering on that page, you’re ok to change the bars:

What is tampering?

In the ‘tuning’ market nowadays there are several ways of tampering with your bike. Mechanisms such as tuning dongles or chip tuning give users a quick way of changing the maximum speed of your bike. This can damage the motor and e-components of your bike beyond repair.
Sorry for being blunt but what a load of baloney .Having your bike chipped doesn’t mean you’re gunna go 40mph for an hour which could damage some parts , you’re more likely to just go a few mph faster for a few seconds every now and then which will have absolutely no damaging effects on the motor .
It’s not illegal to chip an ebike so giant and Bosch are wrong and that’s why I’ll never buy them . Who the fxxk do these companies think they are 😡🤬☺️

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I would have though it’s a little illegal to deploy software

Yes, you should hire a lawyer so you can force companies to make products according to your specifications. Don't buy a bike from a company that make the product you want. Buy from a company that make a product you dislike, and then use the courts so you can make them change and get some money.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Quite agree. I would do research though before buying a brand to ensure it can be easily delimited.
Specialized comes top of the list for me. Over 4 years with zero problems.
I really CBA with all this limp home foolishness other manufacturers use.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Saying that they are perfect as they are puts Giant on loose ground.

Identical bikes are sold in the USA and Europe. Except that the bikes for sale in Europe are limited by law to 25 kph (15.5 mph) and although I don't know the reason, in the USA they are limited to 20 mph (32.1 kph). But the thing is that they can't both be perfect! If it is safe and "perfect" to have a 20mph limit for USA bikes then it must be safe (if not legal) for the same bike sold in Europe. Why do Giant get their knickers in a knot if someone rode their Europe bike at the USA limited speed.

I have had ebikes since Jan 2019 and I have never chipped a motor nor fitted any kind of defeat device, but one that kept assisting up to 20 mph would be tempting.

However, putting on my sensible trousers for a moment.... One way to look at it is that the bike manufacturers are trying to show to the legislators in Europe (and New Zealand and all their other markets) that they are trying to obey the law of the land. I guess the concern is to prevent the legislators acting to restrict the ebike market more than it already is. You could argue that they are acting on our behalf. But what they are really doing is trying to prevent their market from being restricted. I wouldn't be surprised if the legislators hadn't had a word with the relevant bike industry body to be more proactive at preventing chipping. Giant are just being heavy handed in how they are going about it.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Because tampering with an e-bike (motor, battery) is a risk factor for e-bike fires.
So I doubt there could be any case for a class action.

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
WOW - Some of these responses are great although a little off topic.

FYI - I did get legal advice for shits and giggles - under Australian consumer law Giant are in breach, they actually admit they are in breach via their site by stating that they are impairing their products post purchase if they are modified.

It was also suggested that I reach out to the ACCC - Australia has strict guidelines when it comes to this stuff.

Simply put, from a consumer perspective - no manufacturer has the right to remotely disable or impair a product post purchase - they can void the products warrant but no more.

So at what point in time did the eMTB community think that this is acceptable behaviour?

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia

Identical bikes are sold in the USA and Europe. Except that the bikes for sale in Europe are limited by law to 25 kph (15.5 mph) and although I don't know the reason, in the USA they are limited to 20 mph (32.1 kph). But the thing is that they can't both be perfect! If it is safe and "perfect" to have a 20mph limit for USA bikes then it must be safe (if not legal) for the same bike sold in Europe. Why do Giant get their knickers in a knot if someone rode their Europe bike at the USA limited speed.

I have had ebikes since Jan 2019 and I have never chipped a motor nor fitted any kind of defeat device, but one that kept assisting up to 20 mph would be tempting.

However, putting on my sensible trousers for a moment.... One way to look at it is that the bike manufacturers are trying to show to the legislators in Europe (and New Zealand and all their other markets) that they are trying to obey the law of the land. I guess the concern is to prevent the legislators acting to restrict the ebike market more than it already is. You could argue that they are acting on our behalf. But what they are really doing is trying to prevent their market from being restricted. I wouldn't be surprised if the legislators hadn't had a word with the relevant bike industry body to be more proactive at preventing chipping. Giant are just being heavy handed in how they are going about it.
Mate - I love your perspective and this makes the most sense as to why restrictions should be put in place. e-Bike manufacturers showing that they respect the local laws.

The issue I take with stance is that you can still walk into a retail electrical store and buy an e-Scooter or electric skateboard with no speed restrictions. Riding an e-vehicle in the state where I live is heavily policed and if you exceed the limit you're fined.

Seems like e-bikes have a law that's only being upheld by manufacturers and all other e-vehicles are free to do what they please.

I know this as I build custom electric mountain boards here in Australia - ZFG esk8 Electric mountainboards Melbourne BASED

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Bosch do the same.
It's not their responsibility to ensure the motors are road legal... you don't see car manufactures limiting cars to motorway speeds... you don't see motorbikes doing the same...

there's no speed limits if your riding on private land anyway...

It's up to the rider or driver to obey the law
they probably do it in the hopes of pleasing governments and maybe getting some of those tax incentives that made elon so rich

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
The rules tend to be around ebikes not gears. A cyclist is in general restricted to the same speed laws as other vehicles even if not aware of it or how fast they are going.

Anyhow I get why manufacturers have to limit this but I dont get them restricting changes by owners of the bikes if they want to, warranty aside its none of their business really

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
A warranty should be voided if the buyer has wrecked the bike with bodgy 'fixes', but NO WAY is a stealth nerf acceptable. This just confirms the concept of never doing an update to the firmware.

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
I created a petition for this. I also intend on taking this as par as possible though the various Australian legislative bodies ACL and the ACCC.

https://chng.it/xhTdQHp4dL

1715075167778.png

sehah

Nov 14, 2022
Socal
was climbing about 5000ft a week ago. last 2 miles and 800ft climb or so left the bike kinda stopped pushing. wasnt dead, but wasnt pushing. i managed to pedal it up and come down the other side. turned out speed sensor died, lbs put their own magnets up against it and nothing. now they gotta send it in so giant can clear the code. utterly ridiculous.

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Agree wholeheartedly. Giant would have the right to void the warranty if they found evidence of derestricting, but no way should they be able to get away with deliberately nobbling your bike and then force you to pay unspecified charges to retore it to factory condition. Probably a contravention of the Victorian Fair Trading Act (I'm in the same state as you Michael)

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Totally out of order to remotely nuke something especially given it could well be being used legally, derestricted on private land. Reminds me of a period in my electric unicycle group when a load of guys bought direct from China, saving £500 on a £4k wheel and the manufacturers stunned the lot via geotagging the phones when setting up the app with the wheel (a necessary step). Bastards.

Edit: just read the link and it doesn't actually appear that Giant are nuking anything, instead simply saying that if the bike is tampered with it will go into limp mode and require factory servicing to reset it. This isn't unlike the Bosch setup on most bikes albeit you get 3 limp events before needing factory reset.

In any event I think I got the wrong end of the stick and it's certainly not remote disabling as I thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjd

OldnSlow

Dec 31, 2021
New Zealand

A small but important point about Giant's concern for New Zealand's sovereign law. We have no speed limit applying to e-bikes in New Zealand. No limit at all. Bikes are limited in theory to 250 watts output (nominal) but there are no speed restrictions. My partners 2019 Giant e-Revolt is limited to 45kph (28mph in the old money) while my Look e765 gets asthma around 25kmh. Both are legal. It always strikes me as unjust when she gets the urge for a drag race 😁. Which goes to first your point about speed limits applying to the same bike in different jurisdictions Steve.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A small but important point about Giant's concern for New Zealand's sovereign law. We have no speed limit applying to e-bikes in New Zealand. No limit at all. Bikes are limited in theory to 250 watts output (nominal) but there are no speed restrictions. My partners 2019 Giant e-Revolt is limited to 45kph (28mph in the old money) while my Look e765 gets asthma around 25kmh. Both are legal. It always strikes me as unjust when she gets the urge for a drag race 😁. Which goes to first your point about speed limits applying to the same bike in different jurisdictions Steve.
Just to ensure no misunderstanding... By using the phrase "limited by law .." I was referring to the level at which the pedal assist from the motor must stop (I could have been clearer at the time). My bike and I can go as fast as gravity and my leg power can provide. However, when riding on public roads I must obey the same speed limit as all other road vehicles.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Just to ensure no misunderstanding... By using the phrase "limited by law .." I was referring to the level at which the pedal assist from the motor must stop (I could have been clearer at the time). My bike and I can go as fast as gravity and my leg power can provide. However, when riding on public roads I must obey the same speed limit as all other road vehicles.

I’m probably wrong, but I always thought it was manafacturers covering their arse in case of litigation, especially in the US. Say for instance someone on a derestricted bike killed a pedestrian. Bosch, for example, May be deemed as liable as the rider because they ‘allowed’ their motor to be altered. They are therefore trying to avoid being sued by putting the measures in place. No idea if this is true, but a bloke in the pub told me, so it must be right😀

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles