Bosch vs Shimano drag race

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
Hi all. Yesterday I competed in a 48km XC race on my ebike (2024 Mondraker Crafty R Bosch CX4).
The first 12km was flat road so I quickly hit the 25km/h limiter and struggled to maintain 25-27km/h the entire time (turbo mode).

A 2020 Norco Sight with the old Shimano e8000 flew past me and I lost sight of him. I'm estimating he was doing at least 30km/h.

My question is: are some ebikes easier to pedal after the motor cuts off? I'm assuming a super light would be but his bike was similar in weight and components to mine and he was flying!

Ps. I ended up winning the race so fitness shouldn't be the issue.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Hi all. Yesterday I competed in a 48km XC race on my ebike (2024 Mondraker Crafty R Bosch CX4).
The first 12km was flat road so I quickly hit the 25km/h limiter and struggled to maintain 25-27km/h the entire time (turbo mode).

A 2020 Norco Sight with the old Shimano e8000 flew past me and I lost sight of him. I'm estimating he was doing at least 30km/h.

My question is: are some ebikes easier to pedal after the motor cuts off? I'm assuming a super light would be but his bike was similar in weight and components to mine and he was flying!

I don't understand why 25km/hr is the speed limit of the motor on your Bosch e-bike. Isn't the speed limit in Australia the same as in the US and Canada - 20mph or 32km/hr?

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Before l derestricted the Shimano's e 8000 the cut off point was ordinary with the noticeable motor drag.... l relied to gain not restrict on pace to land clean on fairly good size booter's.... So eventually the 2019 Vlt Sight was noticeably transformed by derestricting.... you may well be wondering back on the event in all fairness.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
didnt someone from these forums make an app to unlock shimano? stunlocker or whatever
Bosch CX is rated for 28mph/45km/h on a pedelec, so thats how fast you'd go if the motor didn't cut out

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Before l derestricted the Shimano's e 8000 the cut off point was ordinary with the noticeable motor drag.... l relied to gain not restrict on pace to land clean on fairly good size booter's.... So eventually the 2019 Vlt Sight was noticeably transformed by derestricting.... you may well be wondering back on the event in all fairness.
The most likelihood is that the norco had a slightly higher motor cut out. My experience is once you hit cut out you can go sweet fa faster than that on the flat/up. But if another bike goes even .5km faster before cut out they will just pull away from you.

Ps NZ is 32kph. So my experience is at 32kph. 25kph would suck balls.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
With chains removed, the cranks on an E8000 will move almost freely, while on bosch CX there is a very noticeable drag, although the cut off of the shimano feels more abrupt than the bosch. But this difference in drag should not justify the other rider flying past you, so it looks like his bike was set to 32 km/h in this case.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I can't imagine how bad a 25kph cutoff must feel. 32 is bad enough but 25 must be unbearable at least it would be for me

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
I can't imagine how bad a 25kph cutoff must feel. 32 is bad enough but 25 must be unbearable at least it would be for me
You are correct. Tight single trails are fine with the 25km limit but open trails/road is a punish. It's actually not enjoyable.

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
My ep801 just stops assisting at 20 mph, I don't feel motor drag, just the added torque stops. I ride quite a bit with the assist turned off to warm up and it's no where near as bad as I thought a 56lbs bike would be. It also makes you appreciate the assistance more after a climb without it 😂.

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
The E8000 is relatively easy to up the cutout to 32kmh by telling it that is lives in the good ol USA.
You either need a friendly bikeshop or an app like EMax which is what I used.
32kmh is much more enjoyable especially on touring type rides as you can keep up with all the young blokes on their analog bikes. the best bit is it gets rid of that big gap where you lose momentum in undulating terrain where you build speed downhill but lose momentum until the assistance kicks back in on the next climb, makes for much smoother riding.
Changing the location does nothing except up the cutout limit, odo and speedo still work in kms.

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
The E8000 is relatively easy to up the cutout to 32kmh by telling it that is lives in the good ol USA.
You either need a friendly bikeshop or an app like EMax which is what I used.
32kmh is much more enjoyable especially on touring type rides as you can keep up with all the young blokes on their analog bikes. the best bit is it gets rid of that big gap where you lose momentum in undulating terrain where you build speed downhill but lose momentum until the assistance kicks back in on the next climb, makes for much smoother riding.
Changing the location does nothing except up the cutout limit, odo and speedo still work in kms.
That's very handy to know. I have no doubt that the bloke that sped past me has done this.

GrantCube

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Hey Boomy, welcome to the site. I did the same race with you, albeit I did the 67km version. That bike you refer to was de-restricted and the guy riding claims it was not his bike, but his mates. He flew past me just before the big climb and the only saving grace was that I went past him on the gravel road around 12-14km's from the finish line and he was out of battery.....oh well! For all those that wonder how we survive with a 25km/h cut-off.........what you never had, you dont miss!

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I chipped my bosch when the warranty run out. Wish I’d never waited. The bike is a different animal.

Only way I could ever get my cube to go over the 16mph was to ride in eco so you were in the right gear when you hit that cut off.

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
Hey Boomy, welcome to the site. I did the same race with you, albeit I did the 67km version. That bike you refer to was de-restricted and the guy riding claims it was not his bike, but his mates. He flew past me just before the big climb and the only saving grace was that I went past him on the gravel road around 12-14km's from the finish line and he was out of battery.....oh well! For all those that wonder how we survive with a 25km/h cut-off.........what you never had, you dont miss!
Hi mate. Thanks for replying. It makes me feel better that he came in last. I'm tempted to snitch on him to event organisers. People like him give ebikes a bad name

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles