BOSCH CONNECT MODULE - Orbea Wild 2023 M Team

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Hi all, I've picked up the Bosch connect module for my 23 Orbea Wild M Team & after having a go found the motor cover wont fit back on with it in place.

Has anyone here found a work around for this?

I've ordered the longer cable for the poke it up the battery tube instead as a workaround - but I need to get a bit of room above the motor to pull the main headset data cable back thru that currently feels snug and runs over the top on the motor.

My 2nd question for the forum - is it possible to slacken the motor bolts and drop it a few mm without having to remove cranks etc as I don't have a Torque wrench that will go up to the reccomended 30NM for the cranks.

It's such a small cable I dont need a lot of room I'm sure to pull it back thru - I can move it just about as is.

So i just need enough drop for the end connector to pass back over the top of the motor housing without snagging.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
not certain with the Orbea but on my cube I had to buy a ‘bcm ready’ cover. It has extra room for the module.

I don’t torque the lock ring on the crank either as it’s LH thread and my torque wrench won’t do that. I just use a little bit of loctite and do it fairly tight. I have stripped a lock ring thread trying to go too tight. Luckily it’s aluminium against the steel crank. Was bricking it thinking I’d knackered the crank!

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
not certain with the Orbea but on my cube I had to buy a ‘bcm ready’ cover. It has extra room for the module.

I don’t torque the lock ring on the crank either as it’s LH thread and my torque wrench won’t do that. I just use a little bit of loctite and do it fairly tight. I have stripped a lock ring thread trying to go too tight. Luckily it’s aluminium against the steel crank. Was bricking it thinking I’d knackered the crank!
Thanks Tommy have looked for a BCM version but no luck, have mailed Orbea but not expecting a reply! Mine is first time to me carbon so slightly squeeky bum about torque settings. Some one has suggested using a heat gun to mould it but I'm not that keen on that either - reckon I'd make a right hash of it as it fits so well as stock. For a bike at this price tag to not be able to fit the Bosch connect is a joke IMO.

mtrain1969

Feb 20, 2024
PNW, USA
You can remove the motor without having to remove the cranks. Just remove the front of the chain guide and move the chain out of the way. If you are just trying to lift the front of the motor a few mm, you can probably remove the front and middle bolts on each side, loosen the back bolts, and then move the motor slightly without even moving the chain. Just fold the derailleur arm forward and tie it down to the swing arm with a strap or something to give you some slack.

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
You can remove the motor without having to remove the cranks. Just remove the front of the chain guide and move the chain out of the way. If you are just trying to lift the front of the motor a few mm, you can probably remove the front and middle bolts on each side, loosen the back bolts, and then move the motor slightly without even moving the chain. Just fold the derailleur arm forward and tie it down to the swing arm with a strap or something to give you some slack.
Thanks that’s a great idea and l found the cable I need to pull thru is moving where it runs over the top of the motor - just! So a few mm drop down would prob give me the room I need.

mtrain1969

Feb 20, 2024
PNW, USA
Thanks that’s a great idea and l found the cable I need to pull thru is moving where it runs over the top of the motor - just! So a few mm drop down would prob give me the room I need.
Keep us posted how it all works out. I have wanting to do this but wasn't able to find much info on fitment / activation / etc. specific to the 2023 Wild.

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Keep us posted how it all works out. I have wanting to do this but wasn't able to find much info on fitment / activation / etc. specific to the 2023 Wild.
I’ve got the longer cable coming tomorrow so if I get time will get on to work then. When I fitted it at the weekend it only took 10 mins and then the disappointment of the cover not fitting rapidly undid my satisfaction of easy fit!

If I can pull thru the main data cable & not damage the connection then the next challenge is how to mount the module so it doesn’t rattle around in the small recess under the battery. I’m thinking put in some foam pipe insulation at the moment and wedge it up there.

Cable I’ve ordered is the Display cable 250mm (BCH3611_250) - Smart System.

This replaces the supplied cable which is too short.

DrDexx

Mar 2, 2024
Longridge
Interesting to see how/if you are able to get this to work. I have asked Orbea about a motor cover that would allow fitting the connect module, and got the below response.

Keep up posted on how you get on! Good luck.

Screenshot_20240408-234022.png

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Well I had a response from Orbea - as expected - lame!

I mailed back and pointed out their competitors such as Cube do indeed offer an alt cover to accommodate the module and they should follow suit .....

Thank you for contacting Orbea and for the trust you have placed in our brand, Nick!

Regarding your query, the Bosch Connect Module is compatible with the motor and electrical system of your Wild, however, the Wild frame and motor protector do not allow the installation of this component.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and recommend that you consult with your official Orbea dealer or with the closest one in your location about smaller anti-theft systems that may fit with the motor protector or frame of your bike.

We thank you again and invite you to contact us for anything else you may need.

Last edited:

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I ditched my connect module and will be refitting the powunity biketrax I had before. It’s more discreet, has the option to increase back up battery size, can track at any time and runs off the HPP port so you can fit anywhere on the bike with the right length cable.

nikpw

Feb 10, 2020
London
Congrats on getting it installed. Let us know how it works, I am definitely interested in doing this on my Wild.
Thanks!

It just works, as soon as its powered up and you are connected to the bike & you get a notification that the unit is fitted. The alarm works if you try and nick it and tracker shoews its current location - the front room much to my wifes disgust :)

It was really easy to fit - I taped up the chain to keep it slack and put a box down for motor to sit on whilst doing the work.

The control cable is cable tied as shown in one of the pics. Snip that and its free.

I also took the original fixing plate off the module to give some extra room.

6 motor bolts to remove after you take the cover off.

There's one tricky plastic dome washer fitting inside the frame that you have to keep in as you put the bolt back into it. I kept it in place with a screw driver inserted thru the bolt hole into the plastic washer as i lowered the motor back in.

It's easier to fit the motor from the back first, lineup bolts and partially screw in - work your way fwds.

Keep the Orbea blue print image handy that shows bolt layout.

Cable i bought

One i should of probably got which would of enabled me to run behind the motor - but does mean stuffing excess up the battery cavity - shame there's nothing in between. Not that I've seen anyway.

When buying the module just get the vanilla device as the 'fitting kit' is usless on the Wild - that will prob cover the cost of the cable you need.

And get a 20NM Torque Wrench & some blue nut lock for when you put bolts back in.

I used this foam for the padding. It's a really snug fit.

Bosch schematic.jpg

mtrain1969

Feb 20, 2024
PNW, USA
Awesome thanks for the info. Based off your links, I am guessing you are based in the UK. I saw a 400mm cable on Amazon in the US. Think that is long enough?

tommylee

Oct 8, 2023
Norway
Hi all! I have installed that module last year in September (stuffed it below the battery like on the pictures, with an longer cable) and already my bike was stolen and I was able to retrieve it because of it. And thief could not use the motor itself because bike did not turned on. So I can safely say that that was my best investment reacently.
Would reccomend.

Last edited:

DrDexx

Mar 2, 2024
Longridge
Hi all! I have installed that module last year in September (stuffed it below the battery like on the pictures, with an longsler cable) and already my bike was stolen and I was able to retrieve it because of it. And thief could not use the motor itself because bike did not turned on. So I can safely say that that was my best investment reacently.
Would reccomend.
This is just the kick up the backside I need to get it fitted to mine!

Going to do it this week now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles