Bike day vans and campers

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
I want to get myself a day van or camper to travel to bike locations in the UK and France. This would also be useful to commute to work and weekend driving.

Which options are the best for this? I've been looking at LWB VW caddy etc or larger vans like the ford transit. Any pictures of layouts etc would also be helpful.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
I've got a swb t6, tbh any smaller than that wouldn't be as versatile.
It's awesome to daily drive. The transits are good too.
There's various bike rack setups that work. Rocky mounts are the shit if you need to take your front wheel off. I use a pair of Yakima highroad racks that are awesome and super fast to secure bikes inside. Run a roof tent for camping, it's alot easier to have seperate sleeping area vs trying to cram it all in van in my experience.
The pics kinda sum it up.

20230923_181154.jpg 20230904_191444.jpg 20230729_143019.jpg

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
Its not a camper, but I use my VW LWB Transporter for everything. Commuting to work, going to enduro races / training (with my petrol enduro bike), sleeping in it (when alone) etc. The walls are covered with 9mm plywood. I have only a few brackets / pockets for boxes of different kinds attached to the walls, no bed or other furniture. I'm also using it as my daily driver and to trensport big/heavy objects, so I can't fill it with furniture. I also need to be able to transport two motorbikes, hence the need for almost full width inside.

I have used VW transporters like this for the last 20 years or so, and they are quite well suited for the job.
I have no interior pictures, I'm afraid.

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
Thanks, I've noticed a lot of people with the VW T4, T5. Looking at your pics I think I the caddy will be to small.

ReadyShreddy

Nov 17, 2023
UK
I think I've narrowed the van choice down to the Peugeot expert LWB, transit custom swb or vauxhall vivario swb, based on my budget and getting two bikes in there. VW is out of my price range.

Anders

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2023
Norway
I have friends with Opel Vivaro (including my son) and Ford Transit custom vans. The all are quite satisfied, as far as I can tell.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles