Best way to transport E bikes without lifting

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks. Yes, the bikes we are getting have a walk mode, although I wondered how well that would work up a ramp. I'm happy to push it up a bit, just don't want to lift too much, although I could lift one end.

I really, really wanted to get a lighter bike. After we ordered these I found a lighter (and better) bike, and I should still be able to cancel, as the dealers said they weren't sending the order until tomorrow, but they are being weird. But my wife wants to stick with these bikes anyway.
We started with 80lbs ebikes and hated them. They worked well but managing the weight turned out to just not be practical. My wife, who has been riding mountain bikes for decades, worried about crashing and not being able to get out from under the bike. So I highly recommend a light bike.
Regardless our solution was to ge
Regardless our solution was to get a hitch rack and simply lift one wheel at a time into the hoops. Cuts the weight in half.
But another option is to get an rv cargo hitch mounted platform with a ramp. Like folks use to carry light motorcycles.
The hitch racks are much lower to the ground so ramp or lifting one wheel at a time is not as high as trying to get it into a vehicle.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
We started with 80lbs ebikes and hated them. They worked well but managing the weight turned out to just not be practical. My wife, who has been riding mountain bikes for decades, worried about crashing and not being able to get out from under the bike. So I highly recommend a light bike.
Regardless our solution was to ge
Regardless our solution was to get a hitch rack and simply lift one wheel at a time into the hoops. Cuts the weight in half.
But another option is to get an rv cargo hitch mounted platform with a ramp. Like folks use to carry light motorcycles.
The hitch racks are much lower to the ground so ramp or lifting one wheel at a time is not as high as trying to get it into a vehicle.
Thanks. Yes, I was shocked at how much some of them weigh. I was trying to stay as close to 50 lbs as possible, and was all set until we decided to go full suspension. The bikes we are getting (Giant Stance) are pushing 60 lbs (based on reviews, Giant doesn't publish weights). Trek has a couple lighter bikes on sale but my wife didn't like them.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
Thanks everyone again. When I started this I was thinking about the protection from the elements that a van or trailer offers, I hadn't thought about the amount of money out in the open on a rack. For longer trips someday I hope to get a toy hauler, but until then I thought about a small utility trailer. But not sure I want to hassle with that for day trips, where I'll usually be either riding or driving, so security isn't as much of an issue. Of course putting a rack on is inconvenient too. So I'm still thinking of a van option but limited choices in my price range.

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I have the Quikr out of Colorado. They license the 1up design but made it better. They sell a ramp that attaches to the rack to you roll your ebike up, which I bought for my wife.
The rack is fantastic. Super quick to take on /off. Plus they’ll match the keys each time you buy. Nothing better.
Interesting! The easy on/off is appealing, although it is a bit pricey, especially $250 for the ramp!

hemismith

May 2, 2024
St George, UT, USA
I found another interesting rack option, right in my neighborhood actually. Not sure if they are actually shipping yet or not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles