ABS brakes come to electric mountain bikes - A load of Bulls?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Dumb idea if you ask me. I want complete control over when I want lockup or not (sometimes a controlled lockup is the best and fastest way to get through a trail section), and modern disc brakes offer really good control and modulation. To me it's a solution to a non-existing problem, and in fact will take away a level of control from an experienced rider.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This really depends on how the user experience is - I was very anti it on Motorbikes, but now I can't imagine riding without it.

My gut instinct is that on an EMTB its not something I would want.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
the speeds involve don't generally warranty it. Might be useful on ice, snow or wet slippy stuff though! I guess the likely additional cost would rule it out for most.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cars/mcs fitted with ABS also have brake bias and traction control. ABS on its own is pretty crude and is more likely on a mtb to upset the balance of the bike under braking than help it to stop quicker.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
How incredibly lame is that, what's next, roll cages and seat belts or maybe traction control for our 1/4 hp motor.
:poop: idea

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Can't stand ABS in cars, on motorcycles and have absolutely no interest on ebikes.

Sheesh - if you can't learn to brake properly ..... stay in your lounge chair.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles