2023 ORBEA Rise Deraileur upgrade

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Hope this isn’t to technical.
I have a 2023 ORBEA Rise M10 I want to upgrade the derailer to a Shimano DEORE XT Di2 Rear Derailleur 1x12-speed. From what I read it should be plug and play but I will need to change out the shifter and electronic cable from the derailleur to the EP801. The question I have is does anyone know if the Deore will plug into the existing Shimano EP801 electronics without any cabling changes. According to Shimano this derailer is fully integrated with the EP801 but not sure if ORBEA has anything proprietary with electronic cabling. Appreciate your help.

IMG_4048.png

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Hope this isn’t to technical.
I have a 2023 ORBEA Rise M10 I want to upgrade the derailer to a Shimano DEORE XT Di2 Rear Derailleur 1x12-speed. From what I read it should be plug and play but I will need to change out the shifter and electronic cable from the derailleur to the EP801. The question I have is does anyone know if the Deore will plug into the existing Shimano EP801 electronics without any cabling changes. According to Shimano this derailer is fully integrated with the EP801 but not sure if ORBEA has anything proprietary with electronic cabling. Appreciate your help.

View attachment 138872
Hi Everone, if anybody is thinking about going in this direction with DEORE on thier Orbea I confirmed it is pretty much plug and play. Besides the derailleur and shifter, a couple cables to integrate with the Shimano EP801 and good to go. Nothing on the Orbea rise that is proprietary to prevent the change over. Happy Trails!

dannyjohn

Apr 27, 2024
South Wales
Hey,

Just wanted to add my experience of doing this to the thread for visibility for others thinking doing the same.

I bought the Orbrea Rise M10 2023 Carbon in Feburary this year, and decided to do this upgrade myself as it was shown as a supported configuration in the Rise bluepaper.

I ordered the two EW-SD300 cables, a EW-JC304 junction box, SW-M8150-IR shifter and RD-M8150-12 rear derailleur.

Installation was pretty easy, shame Orbea didn't do a better job with cable management for the rear brake hose and dropper housing, they literally just sit on top of the battery inside the frame rattling away.
Happy with the job I'd just finished I turned the bike on. Flashing red lights and an error code of E903.

As I understand it, the EP801 RS is flashed in one of two ways, either Electronic shifting for the M-Team versions or manual shifting for everything else.

Took it to my local Shimano service center, the had no idea why it wasn't working and contacted Maddison UK who we're waiting to here back from.

Apparently this is why: Orbea Urrun EP801 and XT Di2 with auto shift headache

I'm waiting for a SM-PCE02 interface to arrive from Japan so I can clear the error message myself with the eMax software.

Cheers.

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Hey,

Just wanted to add my experience of doing this to the thread for visibility for others thinking doing the same.

I bought the Orbrea Rise M10 2023 Carbon in Feburary this year, and decided to do this upgrade myself as it was shown as a supported configuration in the Rise bluepaper.

I ordered the two EW-SD300 cables, a EW-JC304 junction box, SW-M8150-IR shifter and RD-M8150-12 rear derailleur.

Installation was pretty easy, shame Orbea didn't do a better job with cable management for the rear brake hose and dropper housing, they literally just sit on top of the battery inside the frame rattling away.
Happy with the job I'd just finished I turned the bike on. Flashing red lights and an error code of E903.

As I understand it, the EP801 RS is flashed in one of two ways, either Electronic shifting for the M-Team versions or manual shifting for everything else.

Took it to my local Shimano service center, the had no idea why it wasn't working and contacted Maddison UK who we're waiting to here back from.

Apparently this is why: Orbea Urrun EP801 and XT Di2 with auto shift headache

I'm waiting for a SM-PCE02 interface to arrive from Japan so I can clear the error message myself with the eMax software.

Cheers.
Thank you very much. This was extremely helpful.

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Thank you very much. This was extremely helpful.
Hi Everone, if anybody is thinking about going in this direction with DEORE on thier Orbea I confirmed it is pretty much plug and play. Besides the derailleur and shifter, a couple cables to integrate with the Shimano EP801 and good to go. Nothing on the Orbea rise that is proprietary to prevent the change over. Happy Trails!
Hi everyone wanted to give you an update on this upgrade. It’s complete! First, this upgrade is very cool. There are three modes of operation. Manual shifting, (A1) full auto with software determining when to shift/gear and (A2) auto shift with manual shifting when going down hill. You can mess with A1 and A2 in Etube for more fine tuning to your preferences. My first ride was today and wow what a blast. The auto shift is incredibly accurate, all hands free and smooth as butter. There is one challenge if you DYI. When plugging in the Shimano EP801 with the DEORE it did not see the new component and errored out. Had it at the shop, mechanic got on the phone with Shimano and they got deep into the software behind Etube for the set up. Once that was corrected it was off to the trails. This was a great upgrade and really enhances the ride experience allows the rider to focus on the ride and the lines. You can always shift if you don’t like what decisions the software made. Anyway, happy trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles